Farm Packages

Farm Insurance

The property section of the farm policy protects your dwelling, household personal property, additional living expense, farm buildings, scheduled and unscheduled farm personal property from perils such as fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, explosion, riot or civil commotion, aircraft, vehicles, smoke, vandalism or malicious mischief, theft and accidental overturn or collision of farm implements.

Optional coverages can be added and may include comprehensive machinery coverage, dwelling replacement cost, farm extra expense, farm/household operations records, fire department charges, glass breakage to farm machinery, household personal property replacement cost, leased or rented farm buildings, loss of farm earnings, peak season, pollution clean up and removal, suffocation of livestock, equipment breakdown and water backup through sewer or drain.

The liability section of the farm policy protects members of your household against financial disaster from accidents or injuries occurring on your farm. It protects you against claims of negligence arising from your farming operations, use of the premises or personal acts. It can also protect you for damages to property you borrow, such as farm machinery. The medical payments to public part of this section pays for accidental injury to the public on your premises, by your livestock, or because of your farming operations or personal acts.

Optional liability coverage that can be added may include custom farming, custom feeding, additional insureds, business activities, contractual liability, personal injury, additional premises, medical payments to named persons, hunting and fishing, or milk contamination.

MPCI/Crop Hail

You can’t control the weather, but you can control your risk with MPCI and crop hail insurance. Call your agent today.

Multi-Peril Crop Insurance (MPCI)

MPCI is insurance for eligible crops in a county operated by the Risk Management Agency for the federal government and private insurance companies. Eligible crops must be grown on insurable acreage in a county for which a method of establishing insurance yields/guarantees and premium rates has been established. MPCI is needed to be eligible for certain Farm Service Agency (FSA) benefits.

What you need to know about MPCI
  • To participate, a person must apply for insurance on or before the sales closing date (March 15 for ND and MN).
  • The insured MPCI coverage is determined either by the level of coverage and price elected, or, for some crops, the amount of insurance elected. A crop may be insured at 50%, 55%, 60%, 65%, 70%, or 75% coverage. (80% and 85% coverage levels are available for some crops.)
  • All acreage of the insured crop within a county must be insured at the same level with a few exceptions. Coverage applies to the crops shown on the accepted application made on or before the sales closing date.
  • There are 4 plans of insurance: APH, which insures the crop for a specific production guarantee, and CRC, IP, and RA which insures the crop for a specific revenue guarantee.
  • The insureds must sign and submit an annual acreage report on or before the acreage reporting date. The acreage report is the basis for determining the liability or amount of insurance provided and the premium. These reports are by crop and include location, date of planting or seeding, number of acres and share in the crop. After the final acreage reporting date, most acreage reports cannot be revised without consent of the approved insurance provider.
  • Production is reported by the insured by the production reporting date. It may be used to establish or update the yield history for the farming operation by crop, unit, practice, etc. Supporting evidence (records) must meet acreage and production requirements.
If your crops are damaged

Damages (losses) must be reported within 72 hours of your initial discovery of damage (but not later than 15 days after the end of the insurance period) by unit for each insured crop. Causes of loss include adverse weather conditions, fire, insects, plant disease, wildlife, earthquake or volcanic eruption.

Crop Hail Insurance

Crop hail insurance is purchased in addition to multi-peril crop insurance. Hail insurance also covers fire and lightning, transit coverage to the first place of storage, vandalism and malicious mischief. Coverage can be increased after policy is written. You can choose your coverage and deductible. There are several plans from which to choose. The actual time and date that coverage becomes effective varies by company. Also, the actual date coverage ends varies by company. Losses must be reported within 10 days after the occurrence of an insured peril. When a loss exceeds 70% on any acre of the insured crop an additional amount will be paid.