Contact Us Find Us

Summer Fun, Insured


Summer’s in full swing…and the weather just keeps getting better. Before you put the boat on the lake or get the ATV out of storage, check with your insurance agent to make sure you’re properly protected. 


Here are some tips to review your coverage to make sure you and your family are insured for the increased risks that come with outdoor activities. 


shutterstock 50284015


Owning and operating a boat or personal watercraft (such as a Jet Ski) puts you at increased risk for liability losses.


Small boats may be automatically covered by your homeowner's policy, but coverage is limited depending on the size of the boat and the motor. If you own a boat, ask your insurance agent about a boat owner's policy that covers physical damage to the boat and any liability that might result from its use.


Personal watercrafts will also require a separate insurance policy.


Golf Carts
Golf carts are a popular recreational vehicle both on and off the golf course. Coverage for personally-owned golf carts under the homeowner’s and auto policies is typically only provided by an endorsement (change request to your agent). Golf carts that are regularly used off premises may require a separate policy, or may be added to your personal auto policy as a recreational vehicle.


All-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are also not covered by standard automobile insurance policies; however, your homeowner's policy might partially cover your liability on an ATV while on your premise only. You might want to consider a separate ATV policy to make sure you are properly insured.


Be sure to ask if your homeowner's policy specifies any safety guidelines you are required to follow, such as installing a fence at a certain height or locked gate.


An insurance company can deny coverage or cancel your policy if you do not follow the safety guidelines or do not inform the company when you install a pool.


Classic and Antique Autos
While these prized possessions are often insured year-round, they get the most road time in the warmer months. Before taking it out of storage for the summer, talk to your agent about your coverage needs for your classic or antique auto.


Ask your agent before putting your summer fun to use:

  • Does my policy have adequate liability limits?
  • Are there special discounts for taking safety courses?
  • Who is covered to operate the watercraft or vehicle?


Whether you own or rent your summer fun, a personal umbrella policy offers an additional layer of protection over what most primary liability policies provide.


Curious about more? Read part two of this article, which focuses on motor homes, vacation homes and rentals!


Jody Nieswaag
Personal Lines Agent
Insure Forward, Jamestown


shutterstock 82361614

  • No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment

Leave your comment

Guest Tuesday May 24, 2016


Move your business forward
Financial Solutions for your unique business needs


Farm Forward
With over 85 years of experience, we know ag.


Work Forward
Interested in joining our team?

Save Time With Free, Green and Easy E-Statements